Hey there, my smokin’ grill enthusiasts! Today, we’re diving into the world of Traeger whole chicken – a lip-smackin’, finger-lickin’, pellet grill extravaganza! Trust me, folks, once you taste this tender, juicy, and flavor-packed bird, you’ll never go back to your old boring oven recipes again!
How to make the best Traeger whole chicken
Alright, let’s start with the basics! Grab your favorite whole chicken, and don’t forget to invite some friends over because this feast is meant to be shared. Now, I’m not going to bore you with a thousand steps – just a quick summary, y’know, like how you’d share a recipe with a buddy.
- Preheat your Traeger grill to a smokin’ 225°F. Yeah, low and slow is the name of the game!
- Season your bird – some salt, pepper, and your favorite rub will do the trick. Get creative, y’all!
- Pop that chicken onto the grill, and let it work its magic for about 3-4 hours. Can you smell that smoky goodness yet?
How long will it take to cook
Patience is key, my friends! You can’t rush perfection, and that bird needs time to soak up all those delightful smoky flavors. But hey, while you’re waiting, grab a cold one, relax, and enjoy the sweet anticipation!
Now, I know some of you might be wondering how long it takes to get that perfectly cooked chicken. Well, it depends on the size of your bird – anywhere from 3 to 4 hours should do the trick. Remember, we’re aiming for an internal temperature of around 165°F, so keep an eye on that thermometer, alright?
How to get crispy skin
Ahh, the holy grail of smoked chicken – crispy skin! We all want it, and I’ve got a sneaky little trick for you. Once your chicken reaches that ideal internal temp, crank up the heat on your Traeger to about 375°F. That’ll give that skin a chance to crisp up and get all golden and delicious!
What side dishes to serve
Alright, we’ve got our star attraction, but we need some fabulous sidekicks to complete the meal! How about some buttery garlic mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, and maybe a fresh garden salad? Mmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Of course, don’t forget the barbecue sauce – slather it on, dip that chicken in it, or do whatever tickles your taste buds! BBQ sauce is the ultimate wingman for our smoked chicken!
What to do with leftovers
Oh, trust me, folks – leftovers are the gift that keeps on giving! You can shred that tender chicken and make some mouthwatering sandwiches, toss it into a cozy soup, or maybe even whip up some chicken quesadillas. The possibilities are endless, and your taste buds will be forever grateful!
Random Fact: Did you know that chickens are direct descendants of dinosaurs? Yeah, talk about a prehistoric feast on your plate!
And there you have it, my dear Traeger fans – the journey to smoked whole chicken heaven! It’s been one finger-lickin’ ride, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did sharin’ it with you!
Finally, I’d like to thank y’all for stickin’ around till the end. You’re the real MVPs! Remember, cooking is all about havin’ fun, experimentin’, and sharin’ the love with family and friends. So go ahead, fire up that Traeger, and let the smokin’ adventures begin!
In closing, let’s raise our tongs and say, “May your smoke be flavorful, your skin crispy, and your chicken always tender!” Happy grilling, y’all!
Traeger Whole Chicken
Indulge in the ultimate grilling sensation - our Traeger whole chicken recipe. Prepare to savor a heavenly blend of juicy meat and smoky goodness.
- 1 whole chicken around 4-5 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, for some kick!
- BBQ sauce for serving
Prepping the Chicken
- Begin by patting the chicken dry with paper towels. We want it nice and dry to ensure those delicious spices stick to it!
- In a small bowl, mix together the kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried rosemary, black pepper, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper (if you're feelin' adventurous!). This will be our mouthwaterin' dry rub.
- Rub the olive oil all over the chicken – it'll keep it moist and help the spices adhere. Then, generously sprinkle the dry rub all over the bird, inside and out. Get in there, folks, and give it some lovin'!
- Once the chicken is all dressed up with its aromatic spices, cover it with plastic wrap and let it hang out in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Trust me, this marination time will take it to a whole new level of flavor!
Preparing the Traeger Grill
- Now, it's time to set up the Traeger pellet grill. Preheat it to a temptin' 225°F. Oh, the anticipation is killin' me!
- While the grill is getting up to temperature, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp for about 30 minutes. We don't want any cold surprises when it hits the grill!
- Place the chicken on the grill breast-side up. Close the lid, and let the magic happen. You can add some wood pellets for that extra smoky flavor – hickory or applewood are always a safe bet!
- Now, grab that kitchen or basting brush, and every hour, baste the chicken with any juices that collect in the pan. That's the secret to keepin' it juicy and tender!
- Keep an eye on the internal temperature. We're lookin' for that sweet spot of 165°F at the thickest part of the meat. Once it hits that magic number, it's showtime!
The Crispy Skin Finish
- Crank up the heat on your Traeger to about 375°F. This is where the skin gets all golden and crispy – a sight to behold!
- Let the chicken hang out at this higher temperature for about 10-15 minutes. Keep watchin' it, so the skin doesn't burn. We want it crispy, not charred!
- Take the chicken off the grill and let it rest for a few minutes – this gives the juices time to redistribute, keepin' it moist and tender.
- Carve that smoky beauty up and serve it with your favorite BBQ sauce on the side. Oh, mama mia, this is what heaven tastes like!